Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Road biking 101

 I love my new bike

Getting fitted for my bike by the shop owner Katie

more bike fitting, I really need to work on not hunching my shoulders!

First look and fit of the bike
Oh what a difference a proper bike fitting makes. My first road bike I had I gotten  from a now closed bike shop. I bought the bike and was taken around the parking lot a couple times so they could show me how to shift and that was about it. Although I liked the bike it was a little big for me and I had done all the adjusting to it myself, okay Rick helped me.
So last night when we went to get my new bike   I found out what a proper bike fitting is. I could not be happier with my bike and the help I got at the Straight River Sports and Fitness shop in Owatonna. I cannot say enough about what a great job they do there and how they go out of there way to help you and make sure you know what you are doing before you leave the shop. Katie even let me keep my old bike pedals even if they  weight a ton and I really need new ones! I know it drove her nuts that I am unwilling to give them up yet but she never once pressured me to get new ones.   I need to work myself in to new ones. I have not fallen on the ones I have yet so I hate to give them up. Until you bike with your shoes clipped into the pedals you don't know the fear of falling :)  Maybe by the end of the summer I will be ready.
I am so excited to start biking this year. I was even more excited today when I got up and saw the weather was going to be nice so we would be able to go for a ride after work.  I am looking forward to taking those 20-30 mile bike rides a few nights a week. And I am looking forward even more to taking some camping and biking trips this summer.
Of course while in the bike shop Rick and I had to make the mistake of looking at the sunglasses display. Yep you guessed it we both came out of there with new glasses. But the good news is they were 10% off. I know I am justifying them but I don't care!
See ya out on the road!
Sharon

No comments: