Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bad person

Dexter and Maddy meeting

I am such a bad person. We have been looking for another dog for Dexter. I have been looking and looking at all the shelters and every time I try and get a dog it is ether gone or not the kind of dog we want. It is hard because all the little dogs like the ones we wanted go super fast or are from puppy mills. The dogs from puppy mills are not social because they have spent there whole life in a cage and have never learned to be puppies. It is just so sad but I cannot have a dog that does not want to be picked up and is scared of everyone. I know it makes me a bad person. I know we were being picky but I also know that if I bring a dog into the house is should be what we want so it does not end up back in a shelter. Then this week we went to Mankato to look at a stray dog. It was to big and hipper for Dexter, who does not like big dogs if they are hipper. So we had to leave it. I felt so bad because I know that they were going to put it to sleep if they did not find a home for it soon. It really is heartbreaking to see all these unwanted dogs. If we had wanted a big dog we could have found one immediately but that is not what we wanted. So on Thur. Christa calls me up to tell me about a super cute dog at the pet store in Faribo. I said no way but then I made the mistake of looking at it. Yep you guessed it I brought her home yesterday afternoon. I know, I know I am a very bad person for supporting a pet store that gets it dogs from a breeder. But I just could not take the heart ache of looking at the shelters anymore. So yes I am a bad person.
So the puppy I got is a Yorkie-poo. She is 4 months old and super cute. She is 7 pound right now and should not get much bigger then that. She has hair not fur so she is non shedding just like Dexter. The pictures are not very good because she was so excited that she would not sit still for a picture and I was taking them with my phone. I will try and get some better ones this week. Dexter and her are hitting it off great. Dexter is going to be so happy to have someone to play with. I think we have come up with a name. I wanted to name her Newt but Rick said he did not like it. Newt is the little girls name in the Alien's movie. So this morning before I left for work we decided on Maddy for her name. So for now that is her name. We will see if it last.
So now the potty training begins. Yesterday she did not pee from the time I brought her home at 3:00 until this morning. She hated going outside in the cold and does not get it yet that she is suppose to go potty out there. I guess at the pet store she kept her kennel dry all the time and only went potty when they took her out and put her in the store display/play area. So she know she is not suppose to go in her kennel now we just need to get her to know that her potty area is outside. Once she fingers that out I think we will be okay.This morning when I got up her kennel was dry. I took her right outside but she would not go as soon as I brought her in she peed on the floor! Oh will we have lots of work to do! Rick has house trained dogs before and he says that Dexter will help because the Maddy will do what he does. I hope so!
Later Sharon

No comments: