Friday, October 26, 2012

Pineapples do not grow on trees......


So I guess there is some confusion in my family as to how a pineapple grows. I had a couple members of my family (Amy and Rick) who thought pineapples grew on trees. I had another member of my family (Christa) make that statement that it takes 7 years to grow a pineapple. So today I am going to give you all a little lesson on the pineapple.

First thing you need to know pineapples DO NOT GROW ON TREES! They are a plant that grows in the ground. Once the pineapple head takes root, it’ll take two to three years before it starts bearing fruit. It’ll grow to be almost 4 feet high by 4 feet wide. Once it’s matured, a large flower will grow in the middle of the plant and eventually be replaced by a pineapple itself. Once the pineapple is harvested, a new fruit will grow in its place the following year.

You can also grow a pineapple in the house. Check out this blog to find out how to do this. The reason all of this came up is because I decided to grow a pineapple plant this summer and now that it is cold out I brought it in the house and now everyone has questions. Who knows maybe in two to three years I will have a pineapple to eat :)

Lesson over....

Later Sharon
Vote NO in NOvember! 

No comments: