Monday, October 10, 2011

Work, wedding, biking and hunting

Rick took this picture from his deer stand

Getting ready to go out hunting

Colette, Rick and me at the Mankato River Ramble
I had a fun filled weekend. I had to go into work on Saturday morning but I left at 12:30. We had a wedding to go to in the afternoon. I was a really nice wedding and we got to meet some interesting new people.
I had taken the day off of work on Sunday so I got to sleep in until 7:00. Earlier in the week Colette had called Rick up and asked if we wanted to ride the Mankato River Ramble so we watched the weather and since it was good we decided to do it. I sure am glad we did, it was such a well organized tour. The route was beautiful and had just the right amount of hills and flat sections. Of course some of the hills were killers! They had around 1500 bikers at the tour.  We did the 42 mile route. Since I had not been on my bike for over a month my legs were pretty tired by the end, but it was worth it.
After we got back from biking  we had about 2 hours and then it was off again to go hunting. So on top of my deer license I also have a turkey license. We have been seeing a ton of turkeys so I figured I should get one. Well the other day while hunting I saw about a dozen coming it. We did not really have a good shooting lane cut out for turkey and I found out that turkeys move fast! So by the time I got pulled up about half of them were already through my very small shooting lane and by then I was so excited that I was shaking like a leaf! I got "turkey fever!" I never even got a shot off. So last night when we got to the stand we cut a much better shooting lane and then I waited. I was lucky another bunch of turkeys were coming in and these turkey were in no hurry. Of course even if they were not in a hurry the dumb things stayed right where I could not get a shot an them. Finally they started to move again and started to walk right where I needed them, but of course then they decided they should move just a little to far out. Well I finally had an opening to shoot them, thanks to cleaning out the lane, but it was a pretty far shot for me. Rick had ranged the area for me so I knew about where 30 yards would be and I knew they were a little further out then that so I aimed at them going between my 30 and 40 yard pin and I shot! And I was to low!!!! I could not believe it but the turkeys did not move. So I got another arrow and thought well I better try again. By then the turkeys had moved off a little more but I still had a opening so I shot again and  I was to low again!  The arrow went right under a turkey, the turkey jumped up in the air and then just walked off like it was the most normal thing in the world. Now the turkeys were all out of my range so I had to watch them as they walked away and then flew into the trees for the night. The good news is I am sitting in the right area to get one so they will be back!  Rick figures it was close to 40 yards away so I should have used my 40 yard pin when aiming at them. That is a pretty far shot for me but I had to give it a try. It sure was exciting and now I can't wait to go back out and give it another try! Oh and since we were deer hunting I guess I should tell you that Rick saw a nice buck but it was to far away for him to shoot.
Today I am back to work for one day then I have two days off and then back to work for 6 days.
Later Sharon

No comments: