Friday, September 30, 2011

Lecture......

Okay I know I should keep my mouth shut but I am not going to. Instead I am going to give a lecture today.... In the last week I have  heard of several women talking about using pepper spray/mace for self defense. Now I am all for women defending themselves in any way then can if they are attacked but if you think you are going to be able to just go out and buy a can of pepper spray and it is going to save you, you are sadly mistaken. First off most women who carry it keep it in there purse. Now if you are attacked what are the chances you are going to be able to get that can of spray out and use it before the person attacking you has you in his control. And lets say you are smart enough to have that spray out and in your hand when you are attacked, are you trained in how to use it? You may think that is just a simple thing to pick it up and spray it but it is not. Chances are you will be close to the person attacking you when you spray it and when you do spray it, if you get the chance  you will also be in the mist from the spray. So not only are you hopefully getting it on your attacker you will be getting it on you, incapacitating yourself. Also chances are your attacker will be bigger and stronger then you are and they will take that pepper spray away from you before you ever have a chance to use it and then they will use it on you. You need to be trained in any kind of self defense before you carry it, pepper spay, mace and guns. When I worked in the jail we had to be trained every year in the use of pepper spray. You would be surprised on how hard it is to use it correctly when you are in fear for your life. We also had to be spayed with it so we would know the affects of it, it was no fun. I do not carry pepper spray even after the years of training. I feel like it would be a bigger risk to me then a help.
I advise all women, young and old to take a self defense class and learn a few simple things to help you get away from a attacker and be safe in your everyday life. I have taken a few  classes over the years and have leaned a lot. I also was at one time certified to teach  a self defense class.
Lastly the biggest thing you can do to protect yourself is to try not to put yourself in dangerous situations. Do not walk alone after dark, do not run or walk by yourself on isolated roads or paths. Don't be afraid to call security at the mall or at your place of work and ask them to walk you to your car if you need to be in a parking lot/ramp by yourself. Always be aware of what is going on around you and if you are running or walking take those headphones OFF. I cannot tell you how many people I have come up behind on the bike path and scared the crap out of them because they did not hear me. It would be so easy for someone grab you before you even knew they were there! If there is someone by your home or around you that is giving you the creeps call the police and let them know. Ask them to check on the person, that is what the police are for.  Being safe is mostly just common sense, we all get to relaxed in our everyday life's and forget the basic rules about safety.  
So instead of going out and buying that pepper spray etc. take a self defense class.....
Later Sharon 

No comments: