Thursday, February 17, 2011

"I am pretty sure when I am on my death bed I am not going to be thinking, gee I sure wish I had worked more overtime." -Steve Tuveson

About a month ago a bunch of us at the archery club were talking about work and enjoying life while you can. It was one of those conversations that sticks with you........ I really can never understand why some people jump at taking overtime if they don't need the money to survive. Really what do you need so bad that you will give up your family time just for the few extra dollars you will make. I had my fill of overtime when I worked in the jail. One year we were short staffed most of the year and had a person that abused her sick time all the time. I had only two pay periods the whole year where I did not have overtime on my check. Most of that overtime was forced overtime. I missed so much that year, I hated it. I really hate it when people abuse there sick time and use it like it is vacation time. When you work in jobs that needs 24/7 coverage you just can't call in sick without making it inconvenient for others. I am not saying you should come to work if you are sick but it is those time when you know the person is not sick and just wants the time off that really pisses me off. So I will work overtime if I have to but I will not come in on my days off just to make a few extra dollars. My time off doing the the things I love and being with the people I love is way more important then anything I need. It would be way different if I was having trouble paying my bills etc. I am lucky to be at a place in my life that I can pay my bills and live the life I want. I know not everyone has that luxury and I am grateful  that I do.  I don't want to be on my death bed thinking about all the things I did not do because I was too busy working. I want to be filled with memories of all the things I did and the people that I got to do those things with.
I will get off my soapbox now.....
Later Sharon

No comments: