Monday, June 23, 2008

Posted by Picasa
Running Outfit $30.00
Entry Fee for Race $60.00
Running Shoes $98.00
Crossing the Finish Line after running 13.1 miles PRICELESS!
We did it! We all finished the half -marathon on Sat. It was unbelievable! Amy and I went up to Duluth on Thur. afternoon. After getting the camp all set up we went into town and went to the Expo and looked around a little bit and picked up our running packets. Then we went back to camp and went to bed. And we FROZE. No one told us it was going to be so cold at night! Fri. morning we got up and went back into town and really looked at the Expo. Amy got some new running shorts and I got a shirt. They had a ton of neat stuff. Could have spent a lot of money. Then we went to the Grandma restaurant and had lunch. After that we stopped at Kmart and got some more blankets so we would not freeze to death and then we went back to the camp and relaxed. Cassie got there about 6:30 and we went right back into town and she picked up her race packet and we went to the spaghetti dinner. It was really good. I ate a ton. Then it was off to bed. We got up at 4:00 A.M. and were on the bus to the start of the race at 5:00. I did not get really nervous until we were driving to the start on the bus. I kept thinking this is really a long ways. What was I thinking..........Then finally at 6:30 we were off! It was going really good until mile six. That is when my left knee went out. It has been bothering me off and on for the last two weeks. Nick thinks it is the IT Band. Anyhow after that I was in pain every step. But I just kept on running. I worked way to hard to not finish. After 2 hours 6 minutes and 20 seconds I crossed the finish line. It was one of most unbelievable moments in my life. I ran 13 miles! I came in 75th place out of 226 in my age group (45-49), 2530 place over all out of 5407 and 1048 place out of 3014 female. Cassie was in next finishing in 2 hours 44 minutes. And then Amy came in at 3 hours 3 minutes. We had all done it. After the race my body pretty much shut down. I was as close to passing out as I have ever been. I almost threw up. After about a hour of Cassie taking care of me I was all better. I just needed to eat and drink something and I was fine. After the race we went back to camp and cleaned up and took a little nap. Then we back to town and had lunch/supper at Grandma's restaurant. Then we listened to a band they had and had a drink. By 8:00 we were all ready to just sit down. So we went back to camp and had a campfire and then went to bed. We were up at 8:00 and packed and on the road by 9:00. We made good time and were back in Waseca by 12:00. The weekend could not have been better. I am very proud of Amy and Cassie for the great job they did running!
Later Sharon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kudos to your finish Sharon!

Your allowed to wear your medal on for at least a day. I hope you took advantage.

+1 to your daughters also.

Later

Brian