Tuesday, May 22, 2012

“If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people.” Thich Nhat Hanh

I am lucky to have five generations of women still living in my family.
I look at these pictures of our hands and see old and new and  think about what these hands have done and what they still have to do.......

Grandma Trenda has done a lot with her hands in her 91 years. She has farmed, gardened, cooked, cleaned,  sewing, worked in a drapery department and raised five children. She has held countless babies, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.
I look at my Moms 73 year old hands and also see all the hard work she has done, farming as a child, cooking, cleaning, sewing, working as a bookkeeper and raising three children.
When I look at my hands at 50 years old I think, gosh they look as old as Grandma Trenda's :)  I also see that my hands have done there share of cooking, cleaning, gardening, sewing and of course raising three beautiful children.
I look at Amy's hands and I see not only my beautiful daughter but I see all the things she has already done with those hand in her 28 years of life. She has gone to college, has become and nurse and uses those hands everyday to care for people and she is now raising three children of her own.
And lastly I look at Josie's hands at age 3 and think about all the things she is going to learn from the five generations of women that she has in her life and how lucky she is.

These hands are my family..........

                   Grandpa Trenda, Grandma Trenda, Amy and Josie, Mom and me.
                      Grandpa Trenda, Grandma Trenda, Christa and Oliver, Mom and me

Thanks to Christa for taking such great pictures.


Later
Sharon



No comments: