Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A little Bible Study......

"Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you! Where you go, I will go; where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die, I will die-there will I be buried. May the Lord do thus and so to me, and more as well, if even death parts me from you!" (Ruth 1:16-17)


This is a beautiful bible verse that is often read at Christian wedding ceremonies and used in sermons to illustrate the ideal love that spouses should have for one another. What most people don't realize is that these words were spoken by one woman to another woman.  The Scriptures says without apology, embarrassment, or qualification-that Ruth felt the same way toward Naomi as spouses are supposed to feel towards each other. Far from being condemned, Ruth's feelings are celebrated.

I am in no way an expert on the Bible. But I firmly believe that when you read the bible you interpret it to say what the person reading it wants it to say, what that person believe is right or wrong. You can take any Bible verse and twist it's meaning to what you want it to mean. I great example is the above verse. 

Another example is the issue of slavery. Back when slavery was the norm the good "Christian" woman of the south studied the Bible and they interpreted the Bible as endorsing slavery, Genesis 9:25-27.  Today only the most bigoted Christian would argue that the Bible endorses slavery or that Genesis 9:25-27 is a curse against Africans. Times change and so do peoples views and interpretations of the Bible. 

Prejudice can influence how we read the Bible.......


The reason I decided to write about this is because every time the subject of Gay-Marriage comes up someone will say "the Bible says it is wrong, or it is traditional Christan family values." Well I am saying you interpret the Bible the way you want it to read. Throughout history people use the Bible to justify there prejudices and bigotry. War after war is started because of religion and both sides always believe that they are justified because it is what there "holy book" tells them is true and right!


So when you get in that booth in November stop and think about it....In my Bible God loves everyone........


Vote No in NOvember

Later Sharon  


No comments: