Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Pine Cone Christmas

Me helping all the kids open there gift from Great-Grandma and Grandpa

Josie and Eli

Rick making a rice krispies bar Christmas tree
                                                              THE PINE CONES
  On Christmas Eve Rick and I went down to his Mom's house in New Richland to be with her and the rest of the family. We went to church and then had supper. After that we opened presents and then played dirty bingo for our homemade gifts. It was a nice evening. On Christmas day for the first time ever we had Christmas for the Becker's at my house instead of Grandma Becker's house. Mom was not up to it with having her knee surgery and it is just getting to hard for her to host so many people all the time. Dad was very happy when  I volunteered to have it at my house.  We had lots of good food and it was fun to see everyone. Linda decided that she should hide all of the pine cones all over my house that I was using  as a center piece on the table. I had gotten them when we were in SD this fall and then used glitter spray on them, you can't really see the glitter in the picture. Anyhow I have found them all now and they are back on the table awaiting our next Christmas party. After everyone left I understood why Mom was ready to give up hosting, we were exhausted. It is a lot of work getting everything ready and trying to keep everyone entertained. And then there is the clean up after everyone is gone. But I think it went well and was happy to do it this year. Not sure how many more years we will be able to keep the family tradition going as everyone families grow. It is always a hard thing to give up traditions and move on. I remember how sad I was when we stopped going to Grandma Trenda's house every Christmas day. And I also remember how sad I was when all the aunts and cousins stopped getting together on the Becker side for Christmas. But now as my family is getting bigger and the kids all have kids and the house is getting more and more crowded  I can understand why they stopped it. It gets to be a lot of running for everyone. Anyhow our last Christmas party is going to be on Friday with just our kids. Liam and Josie are excited to open more presents. It is so fun to see there excitement this year over Santa! Yesterday I watched Liam, Josie and Eli from 12:30 to 6:30 because Amy's daycare cancelled again! She was not to happy about it. It was lucky for her that I had the day off and was able to watch them. Josie went down for a nap at 1:15 and did get back up until 4:30. I think she was all tired out from Christmas. While Josie and Eli were sleeping Liam helped me take down all the Christmas stuff. I was going to leave one of my trees up until after Friday but the girls all said it was okay to take it down. We will just set the presents under the window :) Today I had to go back to work :( But I only have to work 3 days and then I have another 4 days off so I guess I should not complain to much. It should be a very slow week at work because a lot of people take the week off. Next week the students all come back so I am going to enjoy the last few days of winter break. Later Sharon



1 comment:

Sharon said...

while working out this morning i thought the weight stack felt heavier and sure enough resting on the top weight was a pine cone.

Rick