Sunday, December 18, 2011

Creepy

So now that I just finished checking the building at work for the last time for winter break I think it is okay to write about how creepy it is. I only have to check the buildings on the weekends during breaks since they are all in use during the week. During the school year I open them on the weekends. I have been working at Carleton for almost 13 years now and I have never been as spooked as I have been this winter break. When I fist started working here I was on overnights and a lot of those nights I had to work by myself. Now they have hired more people so the night guys hardly every have to work alone. Anyhow when I worked nights it never really bothered me to be in the buildings locking up or walking around campus. There always seemed to be students around and the custodians started to come into work at 4:00 a.m. Then after about a 1 1/2 years I got to go on day shift. I start work at 6:00 so on the weekends it is usually pretty dead up here until at least 9:00. I can go and open buildings and only see one or two people. Now at break times it is a whole different story. I can go pretty much the whole morning and never see a soul. I go in every building and there is no one around and most of the lights are off. I have to go into rooms and check alarms and make sure everything is locked up. Some of these building are very, very old. On holidays it is even worse. I am pretty much the only person on campus. It has never really bothered me until this past break. I think it started when my first weekend to work over break, Thanksgiving weekend,  I opened the main door to a building and had a bat fly at me. It scared the crap out of me! Then I found out that on that same weekend some creepy homeless guy had made his way into one of the building and had been staying there the whole weekend. I had been in and out of that building and walked passed the room he was staying in several times over the weekend. He claimed that he had gotten into the building when it was open and just stayed. Anyhow he was a young male and when he was confronted he got pretty mouthy. I was glad that I did not run into him while I was working by myself that weekend. So every since I  found this out it has really given me the creeps. I keep thinking about how anyone could get into these building during the day and hide out. They are all big buildings with lots of hiding spots. We once had a student that decided that he was going to live in the Chapel and hid under the floor boards in a crawl space and slept in closets. So anyhow anyone could be anywhere at anytime! And to make things worse I started watching the show American Horror Story and it is really a creepy show. Now I think about that too while I am checking some of these old buildings. It is a good thing that it is my last weekend to work for break. Next time I work weekends the students will all be back. Hopefully by the time spring break comes around I will be over checking over my shoulder and jumping at every little thing!     
So work had it's annual Christmas party last week. I usually do not go even if I am working but this year my boss dragged me and my coworker Steve to it.  It is at the president of the colleges house. It is really just a gathering where everyone stops by for a short time and chats with the president and other people from the college. When we got there Steve wanted to have his picture taken with the president so I took it. Then the president's wife decided that I should be in the picture too so that is the picture above. I have to laugh at it because I am so short. I never realize just how short I am until I see myself in a picture standing next to a normal sized person. So the president of the college is really a nice man. He has been here less then 2 years and  I have been very impressed with him. He is a really down to earth person and very easy to talk to . He seems to really care about the employes of the college.  Other then work I have been busy getting ready for Christmas. Christa decided that this year for the Rugroden Christmas we should all make the presents that we give. We play dirty bingo with them and usually spend $15. Well that hooker Christa got everyone to agree to the making it yourself idea and then she is not even going to be there! It is her year to go to the Wadekamper side for xmas eve. So now I have been making gifts. I have several thing going because I can't decide what to give. It is hard because it has to be for men or women and there is two teenagers that play too. I also babysat a couple of days this week. Well really only one day because the other day I just picked them up from daycare and had them for a half hour. I also managed to work out four times this week. I have not done that in awhile. I figure I better run at least twice a week so that I can eat like a pig over the Christmas weekend. I guess this has been long enough so I will sign off for today. Later Sharon   

No comments: