Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Discovery

It has been a weekend of discoveries. Well maybe not that much but I did discover a few things.
My first discover is because of Cassie, I will get to shortly.
On Friday Cassie and I took a cooking class. It was fun but we both were a little disappointed by how the class was run. The instructor just did not know how to run a class so he was overwhelmed. He would tell us the first step and then everyone would start but then he would start talking to one group and the others would get left behind. Also they offered a bottomless glass of wine for $9.00 so needless to say there was a few drunk people by the end of the night. Cassie and I were good and did not get drunk. We did end up making a lot of tasty food and I got to spend time with Cassie so it was okay that the class was run badly. So back to my sad discovery. Cassie and I were waiting for the class to start and she looked at my hands and said " do you have arthritis in your hands?" I asked why and she said your hands look like it, your  knuckles look swollen and your pinky finger is starting to turn in. I was so sad. So I discovered on Friday that my hands are looking even older then they did before :(
My second discover was on Saturday. Rick and I had a busy day. We finished raking up all the leaves for the year. We had sooooo many. Then after that we got everything out of the bedroom other then the bed so Rick could finish the ceiling and we could paint. After that we decided to run to Mankato to get some paint and other stuff for the house. Well here comes my next discovery, I discovered that Rick and I really can pick out a paint color without an argument! We went in and Rick picked up a sample and said what about this. I could not believe it but I liked it. Now that may not seem like a big deal to you but for us it was. Since we have started the remodeling we have never been able to agree on a paint color without a huge discussion about it. So I was happy that we finally agreed.
Sunday we spent the day working on the bedroom and three season porch. Rick got the ceilings done and painted. They look great. He also got the walls all primed. I went to the store while he was busy with the painting and got stuff to make homemade chow-main. I have not made it in 10 or more years and since I do not really have an recipe I just had to wing it. I did make it much more healthy  then I used to using all fresh ingredients instead of canned like I use to. I have learned a lot about eating healthy in the last few years.
On Monday I spent the day cleaning the house of all the dust from the painting, Rick used the paint sprayer to put on the primer and to paint the ceilings and even though he had everything blocked and taped off with plastic it still managed to seep out into the rest of the house. Thank goodness it just wipes right off, but it was a mess. I also got all the construction mess out of the three season porch so it is all ready for the carpet that should be in on Saturday. Once that was all done I pulled all the baseboard off the bedroom so I could paint it. I was happy that I got it all off and only broke one little piece. Then Rick took the door off for me and got it all primed. Rick also got the first coat of paint on the walls. We picked  a dark color so it will need two coats.
Now onto my last discover and what I think is my best. Monday morning Rick helped me get the closet doors and drawers off. Well when we took out the drawers we discovered a bunch of papers and pictures under one of the drawers that the old owners lefts. I had never had a reason to take the drawers all the way out before so I was surprised to so all the stuff. We looked over everything, most of it was just old school pictures and a couple of kids drawings. But I did find one interesting thing. I found the original mortgage paper work from 1974 when the former owners bought the house. The original loan on Sept. 19, 1974 was for $13,500. They had 8% interest rate and a 20 year loan so the total for what they should have paid for the house was $27103.20 What is so unbelievable about this is that they lived in the house for 36 years and when we bought the house they still owed $84,000! They had remortgaged the house several times. The owner was not a very good business man or for that matter not a very good man. Other then replacing the carpet in the house he never undated a thing since he had it built in 1974. I would hate to say that I lived in a house for 36 years and was never able to pay it off. It really is sad. But it was a pretty interesting discovery.
Yesterday I got a run in and then I spent the day painting all the trim and doors. I started at 10:30 and finished at 5:30. I had time to eat supper and then it was off to archery for the first night of league. I was so tired and sore by the time we got home. My poor arthritic hands and feet cannot take all the abuse!
Today I am back to work so I am giving my body a rest.
Later Sharon 

1 comment:

Christawr said...

poor Mama, getting old must be tough!!