Monday, November 19, 2012

"When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth." -Dawn of the Dead 1978

So once again I have been reading all these end of the world books! I am really getting to be a bit paranoid :) I had to read World War Z because I saw a movie trailer for it and Brad Pit is in it. So if Brad Pit is in it then it must be good right??? Once I found out it was based on a book I went right to my Kindle and downloaded it. Well Brad Pit did not fail me, it was good. It was written like a documentary so it was a little bit of a different read but really good. Of course now I am on the look out for Zombies :)

So other then reading about zombies I have been on the hunt for a sewing machine for Cassie. This summer I saw one on one of the buy and sell sites on Facebook  and I asked Cassie if she wanted it. Of course she said NO she was not going to sew. So now a couple of months later she decided that she really needs to start sewing. So the hunt for a good older sewing machine was on. The new machines are such crap unless you want spend a small fortune. The older ones were  made to last so that was what I wanted to find. Well I found out that the older ones also go for a small fortune! I have been looking on craigslist, ebay and all the buy and sell sites on Facebook and have not been able to find one. So this weekend I put a listing on Carlslist. It is like craigslist only it is only for people at Carleton. So I posted it in the morning and by noon I had two people with sewing machines! I got them both. One is a portable JC Penny brand from 1968. The person who had it said it works great and he used it all the time. He said the only reason he is getting rid of it is because he got a heavy duty machine from his mother-in-law. He  only wanted $25.00 for it and said if I did not like it I could return it. The other one is a  older Singer machine. This one I got for free. The women who had it said she had gotten it about 15 years ago after it had been reconditioned and no longer uses it. She was just happy to have someone take it that would use it. So now Cassie is set. I figured I would try both machines out and give her the one that works best. I will keep the other one for a spare for when one of the girls or my machine breaks down.
I finally found a good place to take Christa's sewing machine in to be repaired. She has been using my Grandma Trenda's machine and it kept breaking the thread no matter what she did. I took it to a place in Mankato that specializes in Singers sewing machines. The women took one look at it and said it is more then likely something bent in the bobbin and will be an easy fix. She said the machine was a really good one and should last for years to come. Mom thought Grandma got it in the late 50's or early 60's. They made things to last back then! I am glad that Christa is using it, it is like having a little piece of Grandma around.

Well I am guessing you have had enough sewing machine talk.... lets see should we go back Zombies.....maybe not.....

I don't know how long I have to work today :( My coworker got called in for jury duty and he has no idea how long it is going to take. He was not very happy. So I might get to leave at 4:00 or  I might be here until 6:00. I sure hope it is not 6:00.

That's it for today
Later
Sharon   

No comments: