Friday, July 13, 2012

4-H

Fair time always brings back the memories of all the years I spend in 4-H. 4-H was a huge part of my life when I was young. I can't remember for sure but I think I joined when I was in 4th grade. I was in it until I graduated from it just like high school when I was 18. I belonged to the Twin Lakes 4-H Club and was even president of the club my last year. It was always such a big deal to bring all our stuff to the fair every July. Getting those blue ribbons was a huge deal and getting the red or the dreaded white ribbon was always big a disappointment.
 I won a trip to the State Fair once for doing a demonstration with my cousin Jean Glynn(Orhn) One year almost everyone from the club won a trip to the State Fair with a skit we did for the annual Share The Fun talent show. Gosh we had so much fun. They took us all up to the fair and we got to spend a couple of night there. We all got to stay in the dorms on the top of the 4-H building. We spend all day running around the State Fair totally unsupervised. What kid would not enjoy that!
The other big thing every year was sewing the outfit that we would model at the Dress Review. Every year we would take what ever we sewed to be judged on the sewing and then we would put it on and be judged on the fit and style of the outfit. Then a couple of days later we would all model the clothes we made for the Dress Review where we would find out if you were judged good enough to be in the Court Of Honor. One lucky person would be crowned the winner for the year. I was lucky enough to get it the Court Of Honor twice. Once for a housecoat and pajama set I sewed and the other time it was for a pants suit I sewed.
I cannot say that I have one bad memory of 4-H. They were a great organization back then.

Later Sharon 

No comments: